Monday, February 4, 2013

Favourite Lip Products as of February 2nd!

I'm a lipaholic. Anyone who's met me pretty much knows I never leave the house without something coloured on my lips. I can't leave with just chapstick. It feels very strange to me. I have two standard pinks that are a "my lips but better colour", but I'll be honest, they're the same colour, just different formulations and brands. I'm one for a bold lip, and if you see pictures of me, it's normally with a bold lip. I'm here to show you some that have been my favourites the past month or two.

Bottom to top: Maybelline Colorsensational Vivids in  865 Fuschia Flash, Maybelline Colorsensational Vivids in 870 Shocking Coral, Revlon Super Lustrous Lip Colour in Black Cherry, NYX Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo, Rimmel Lasting Finish in 180 Jet Set Red, Maybelline Baby Lips in Peach Kiss

Starting from the bottom, we have two of my new favourite drugstore finds. They're the Maybelline Colorsensational Vivids. I have the colours 865 Fuschia Flash and 870 Shocking Coral. I'm unsure if they're limited edition or not, but if they are, I'll cry actual tears and start singing Sarah MacLachlan. I love neon lips. I cannot emphasize how much I love them.

Fuschia Flash (I grabbed it for $5.64 at Target) is a blue based hot pink. The pigmentation is excellent and I can get ~6 hours of wear without reapplication. That wear time is excellent, because I hate reapplying lip products at school. I find it is a relatively close dupe for Urban Decay's SSHG in "Crush". For the longest time, I stared at that colour and could not determine whether I wanted it or not. I have warm undertones to my skin, and I couldn't determine whether blue based pinks would look good on me. (Blue based reds are a different story, continue reading for that). I caved and bought this after seeing a review on Youtube. To say the least, it was love at first swatch. I put it on my lips and it glided on beautifully. It looked lovely.

Shocking Coral is a little more pink than coral to me. It seems warmer than a blue based pink, but not warm enough to be considered a true or yellow based pink. It's just really pretty, let's just say that. I picked this up yesterday and I already love it. It's not something you can find a lot of colours like, I find. I'm wearing this today, and it's been at least a good five hours since I've put this on. Still going strong.

Revlon's Black Cherry is another new find for me. It's a blackened plum with more of a wine tint in natural lighting, as you can see in the above photo. It does not translate like that to the lips. It's more of a brown colour, but if I mix it with red, I get a sangria-like colour, which comes across beautifully. It's a creme finish, but it is very drying for me. The wear is mediocre, but it's not dreadfully short. I can get maybe three and a half hours before needing to reapply.

NYX's Soft Matte Lip Cream in Monte Carlo is a very much pink based red. Think Revlon's Cherries in the Snow. Applied to the lips, I can get about four hours of wear before fading and settling into lip lines. It smells  a bit like vanilla to me, which is always welcome. The matte formula is drying, which is sometimes a big turn off for me with lip products. I apply a lip balm to my lips before application, and have to let that sink in. After that occurs, I apply and it makes it a teensy bit better, but not by much.

Rimmel's 180 Jet Set Red is a red that leans more on the true/blue-based side. I could write sonnets on how much I love this red. However, I do believe it is being discontinued, because everywhere I look, it's on sale for about half off. Cue the same reaction to the possibility of the Vivids being limited edition. Jet Set Red dries to a matte finish, and can last up to 8 hours without reapplication. Rimmel's Lasting Finish line always amazes me with how long their lipsticks last. Once this puppy is on, it stays on. They do mean lasting.

And last but not least, if you look at the picture just right, you can see the swatch of Maybelline's Baby Lips in Peach Kiss. I love Baby Lips, but they don't give me the ~benefits~ it promises, due to not wearing it on a regular basis. I find if I wear it every day, my lips begin to rely on it, and dry whenever I don't wear it. Needless to say, it's just not pretty if I rely on it too much. However, I love that this has a light enough sheen to make me think I'm wearing a pretty lip colour when I leave the house. The smell I could do without. It's not a pure peach scent, it's a very much artificial scent and it's not good. Peachie-O's smell a lot better. But I've been wearing it on my "lazy days" and it seems to work just fine!

What lip colours/products have you been loving lately?


No comments:

Post a Comment